As a buyer, you must:
- Know Your Numbers
- Be Ready To Move Fast
- Make a Strong but Fair Offer
Global Uncertainty Is Affecting Mortgage Rates
Here’s a look at how industry leaders are explaining the impact global uncertainty has on mortgage rates:
Odeta Kushi, Deputy Chief Economist at First American, says:
“While mortgage rates trended upward in 2022, one unintended side effect of global
uncertainty is that it often results in downward pressure on mortgage rates.”
In another interview, Kushi adds:
“Geopolitical events play an important role in impacting the long end of the yield curve and mortgage rates. For example, in the weeks following the ‘Brexit’ vote in 2016, the U.S.Treasury bond yield declined and led to a corresponding decline in mortgage rates.”
Will Mortgage Rates Stay Down?
While no one has a crystal ball to predict exactly what will happen with rates in the future, experts agree this slight decline is temporary. Sam Khater, Chief Economist at Freddie Mac, echoes Kushi’s sentiment, but adds that the decline in rates won’t last:
“Geopolitical tensions caused U.S. Treasury yields to recede the first week of March . . . leading to a drop in mortgage rates. While inflationary pressures remain, the cascading impacts of the war in Ukraine have created market uncertainty. Consequently, rates are expected to stay low in the short-term but will likely increase in the coming months.”
Rates will likely fluctuate in the short-term based on what’s happening globally. But before long, experts project rates will renew their climb. If you’re in the market to buy a home, doing so before rates start to rise again may be your most affordable option.
What our clients are still looking for?— Maybe you want to sell or know who might want to sell?
- Single family house near East/or West Falls Church Metro in Falls Church/McLean/N Arlington area, new or newly renovated, minimum 3000SF, attached garage, up to $1.5M
- Single family house in Oakton, Vienna, Mclean, 4Br+ with office, built after 1990. Up to $1.9M
- Condo in Arlington Ballston/Virginia Square/Clarendon metro area, 2Br+, 2Ba+. Up to $875K. Ideally corner unit.
- Single family house in Navy EM or Poplar EM or Oakton HS Pyramid. 3Br+, 2Ba+, 2200SF+ above ground finished space. Flexible closing time frame! Can offer seller rent back.
- Single family house in Haycock EM school district, need 1 Br & 1Ba on the main level. Newer home. Up to $2M